Wednesday 16 March 2011

Adapting to London: An MBA profile


When he decided that a career change was in order, German born Jochen Mueller opted to look into pursuing an MBA. After his partner was offered a job in London, Mueller explains that accepting his offer at the privately operated TASMAC London School of Business wasn’t a difficult decision to make.

“The advantages of further studies in general, and the possibilities of the TASMAC MBA in particular were too tempting,” Mueller tells TopMBA.com. “So I quit my job, went house hunting in London, organized the move, and a few weeks later I attended the student orientation event at TASMAC.”

However, before making his decision, in order to better understand how studying for an MBA in London would suit him, Mueller sought advice from a fellow countryman who had been through it all before.

“I got in touch with a German MBA alumni who used to work in my office. He told me all about the program he completed at TASMAC, as well as what it was really like to attend business school in London. This offered me a really valuable insight into what life would be like as a student in the city.”

An MBA versus a social life

To Mueller, one of the major benefits of living and studying in London are the many entertainment and sightseeing opportunities the city offers.

“As our time in London is limited, we want to get as much out of it as possible. So we spend at least one day a week in central London, going to concerts, the theatre and visiting the sights.

“I also spend a lot of time with my classmates. We have a good, sociable class and make an effort to share in all London has to offer.”

In fact, the German MBA student has enjoyed his time in London so much, that he doesn’t really consider his program to be work at all.

“It might sound funny, but I don’t perceive the MBA as a burden,” he says. “I am interested in all (okay, most!) of the topics, and I regularly read the newspapers, business books and other essential materials. But of course, I do appreciate the whole concept of the work/life balance.”

Funding an MBA

Mueller might not consider his study to be a burden, but what about the financial cost of the course?

“The funding of my MBA program is divided into the salary of my partner, support from my parents, wages from my part-time job, and my savings. London is one of the most expensive cities to live, but at the same time you want to enjoy the whole range of opportunities that the city offers, so it is advisable to have a sound funding for your studies.

“I would advise MBA candidates in London to try and work part-time, as it is not too hard to find a good job. However, with a pretty tough time schedule, you will need to be well organized for any extra work not to affect your studies.

“I would also recommend that candidates look for suitable scholarships. TASMAC offered me a scholarship for part of my fees, as I fulfilled the requirements. That has really helped me to manage the cost of my course.”

Post-MBA career

Now, eight months into his year-long MBA program, Mueller is contemplating his career options after he graduates.

“After a short holiday, (this is necessary, as the studies are quite demanding!) I am going to apply for a manager position, most likely back in Germany.

“I hope the current positive news about the German economy and labour market proves to be true, and that I will find a good job quickly. I am very confident that I will succeed in my next role as I feel that my business school prepared me well for the demanding needs of the current business life. It has helped me to develop both my hard- and soft-skills.”


Meet with the admissions staff and alumni of the TASMAC London School of Business at the QS MBA Fair in Accra 24 March. Free online registration

No comments:

Post a Comment